Thursday, September 22, 2011

To Everything There is a Season...

"To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven"
~Ecclesiastes 3:1~


The Single Years...I have twenty three of them to be exact, yep that would be me, the single 23 year old ;). It's hard sometimes to know what to do with them (the single years) and to be content with them. The past few birthdays that have come my way (as they seem to do every year on the 21st day of September), I have found myself sighing with the same discontented sigh..."Another year of being single" it seems to say. But this year I have prayed about it and I am resolved that I am going to be content with what the LORD has given me. He has shown me so many things over the past twenty three years, of course my life hasn't been easy in some ways, but Jesus Christ has been my constant friend and bearer of my burdens.

I have often noticed that girls, younger than I complain of being single or say things such as "I just can't wait", and knowing that I have done the same thing I would love to just speak to all the younger girls and even ladies my age who have a problem waiting.

As a very close friend of mine wisely stated a few years back (whom I might add is a few years younger than I), "Life does not begin when a man comes into your life (i.e when you begin courtship or when you get married).".

Your life began/begins when Christ came/comes into your heart, and the only thing that you should be focused on is Him (1 Cor. 7:34-35). We as young women have so much more that we could be doing, there are many different things I would love to learn if I could before marriage, I have chosen one and that is herbalism. I hope to accomplish more in my lifetime, but for now I am just focusing on that.

God doesn't call us to be the bread winners, or to be domineering over men, but neither does He call us to a life of day dreams and wishful thinking either. We mustn't go through life wishing away every moment on something that might be in the near or distant future. God calls us to live in the now, to share the Gospel, to learn new things and to be His child.

Yes, we need to think about the future and plan for the things to come, but we cannot and should not "live" in it as if it is some fantasy game to be played. I can think of a million times I have done this and those million times I had to repent because it is wrong.

So here I sit on the night of my 23rd Birthday and I beg you young ladies to get up from your computer screen with a renewed sense of singleness to rethink what we so often think of as drudgery. Think of it as a time of ministry, of mission work, a time of preparing and learning for the future. A season in which the LORD is preparing you for what He has for you in the future.

God calls us to be wives and mothers, I fully believe that it is my calling and that is specifically what God made me for. But, God will bring these things to pass in His own good time and I as His daughter should not only be willing to wait, but willing to do it with a joyful and contented heart. Content to be His daughter and to put my full, total and complete trust in Him.

Don't wish away this season of your life, there is a purpose to it...