Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I'm No Princess


My husband and I were talking the other evening about the view that parents give their daughters and how some young women are very immature even those reaching mid 20's. Our discussion started out with the new disney movie Frozen. I went with my sisters to see it and he and I plan on watching it when it comes out on DVD,  I have been raving about it and listening to the soundtrack incessantly for the past two weeks. He had asked me why I liked it so much and my response was, "well it's not about the romance, it's about relationships." He agreed that this would definitely be refreshing  since the Disney Princess stuff is really getting old.

 It saddens me deeply that young women have grown up thinking that they they are a princess who will meet Prince Charming one day and he'll whisk them off to his castle where they will live happily ever after...Do parents not realize that this view on life is not going to lead them to a Godly man, nor will it help there daughters to become morally, upstanding women? This "Disney Princess" outlook on life is unrealistic.

 Reality is that things have to be worked towards, no one is really born to privilege, even someone who is born to wealth has to learn how to read, write, do math, etc as well as learn true wisdom. Nothing is free in life and being born means that you have one privilege, and that is that you were put on this earth for a reason. If you want a good life you will have to work for it and even then you may never attain it. A good king may have done everything right, even a had a very good queen, but things may not work out. But that does not mean that they did things wrong. Just because you never acquire health, wealth, a career you love, or a place to live, or anything that you desire, that doesn't mean that God is punishing you for a "bad" life. But, I am getting off track and that is another blog post.

I have had my fair share of "reality" and reality is that if you want something bad enough, you have to work for it...it doesn't just fall into your lap and rarely is anyone born to wealth. Saying your a "princess" is saying to me that you were born to privilege. I was born a sinner and I don't "deserve" anything aside from hell and damnation. But God in His grace and mercy has allowed me to become His child, I am an adopted daughter. 
I am no Princess, I am a Queen. A Queen accepts and knows that she has responsibilities. She is there as her Kings helpmeet, they are equal as people, but two very different people who make up for each others differences or faults. They work together to make their kingdom a better place to live, a healthy environment for their children/future children. God made me uniquely and specifically for Josh, so that I could serve his specific needs and the same goes for Josh. They both give 100%.

 Josh calls me his Queen, not because I deserve it, But, because I am his wife and I do all that I can to help further his kingdom as well as the kingdom of Christ. Josh did not inherit a kingdom, his parents raised him with a good work ethic and he has worked to acquire this kingdom, I was no princess that he rode in on a white horse to save (that doesn't mean he didn't come in and sweep me off my feet...because he did do that).

 I too had worked to try to become a good wife for whomever the LORD had in store for me. I am a queen to him because I respect him and help him in his kingdom. It's something that I work towards, It holds lots of responsibility. Being queen means that there is a lot of day to day decisions that have to be made, I have to be wise and frugal with the money that he makes, a bad decision on my part may or may not mean the ruination of our kingdom. He has many responsibilities, as do I.

Now, realize here I am only using myself as an example because I have nothing else to use. I can only give you personal experience. I am not trying to toot my horn or flash any light on myself. God knows I have already done things in my marriage that I regret, but both my Husband and Christ are gracious and have given me so much forgiveness.

I urge you daughters, work towards one day being a queen, put any thoughts of being a princess behind you.
I urge you Mothers, and future Mothers to train your daughters as future Queens, leave the "Princess" label for those who have no intent of raising Godly daughters.

"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." ~ Titus 2:4-5 ~
I would much rather be queen of this man's home and serve the LORD, than to be a princess and live a meaningless ungrateful life

No comments:

Post a Comment